I think a new election would grant that people have their say about a future government in the UK.
Not all Russians are brainwashed and repeat the propaganda phrases of mainstream media again and again.
Watch what Zhanna Agalakova , former journalist for the Russian state TV Channel One, says on BBC.
The election for the new German Bundestag is over. The outcome as far as the next government is concerned is still unclear. What however is clear is the end of Angela Merkel’s ruling. (I skip certain possibilities when the establishing of the future government will last very long.)
In fact she reigned over 16 years and many things about her government were remarkable:
• After the Fukushima event in 2011, she was ready to rethink and reorganize not less than the whole energy politics of our country. Driven by her scientific background she was willing to renounce on nuclear energy in comparable few years. This could be considered as the start of a green-black project.
• In 2015 she promoted to accept about 1 million refugees in Germany. The advantage of this human gesture was the help that this huge number of people got. The disadvantage of this was how this extraordinary deed was communicated. Many people especially when living in precarious conditions felt neglected. Moreover countries like Hungary, Poland and others were allowed to block nearly any refugee. This stirred up hostily and produced a huge lack of understanding for many Germans. Since then, we have this royal pain in the ass in our country called AfD
• Moreover she had a very pragmatic view on politics missing almost any vanity most men are famous for.
• The main advantage of Mrs Merkel’s government however is a new view on women in politics. This effect will remain even if Angela Merkel has left the political scene.
Some aspects of her being chancellor in Germany will fade out like this “alternativlos” word (being without alternative). That’s no loss. Generally speaking – I fear – we will remember her government as the few years of an all in all well-balanced and content greater Bundesrepublik.
Postscript June 29 2022
After more than 120 days war in Ukraine inflicted on this country by this aggressive pariah state Russia the view on Angela Merkel has changed. It was more than a “weak point” that she didn’t recognize the danger of this Putin figure and his entourage.
*inspired by Alanis Morissette’s “Thank U”
…and give a strong answer to unfairness and nationalism.
Protests against police violence concerning foremost black people were perfectly right. But sometimes they changed to violence as well when shops were looted or cars burnt. Jon Batiste did probably suffer equally from this racial suppression. But he chose another strategy to bring his protest to the public: music.
Having a New Orleans origin and musical background from his family he accompanied street protests with very loud and energetic music. The new perspective of these marches is indicated by the motto We are [whatever]. This was quite effective when you consider the public feedback. Recently the Sueddeutsche, one of the two leading German newspapers, dedicated him the top report.
But Jon Batiste can make good music and funny performances as well. See the youtube video on top. And one more thing are the lyrics In a world with a lot of problems / all we need is a little lovin’. That’s it!
Appeasement politics wasn’t that successful in the past. Think of Hitler and Munich 1938 or Stalin in the thirties and fourties. Therefore I appreciate very much that Mr Draghi called Erdogan a “dictator” on Thursday. That’s clearly his main feature as you can see in his behaviour. Want some samples?
• Everyone who can threaten his power is called “terrorist”, even if nice and peaceful people are concerned like Mr Kavala who is only fighting for human rights.
• Elections like that for the mayor of Istanbul are repeated if the outcome is unpleasant for Erdogan.
• To butter up the ultra nationalists Erdogan left the Istanbul Convention recently. This Convention was meant to blame violence against women. The need of protecting women rights can be clearly seen when you consider the hundreds of Turkish women murdered (470 in 2019) or hurt each year.
• Despite having a number of elected MPs the Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP) is effectively detained from exercising its rights of participation.
That’s what sensible people call a dictatorship and Erdogan therefore a “dictator”. Well done, Mr Draghi.
Cologne, St. Patrick’s Day 2021 [3/17/2021]
Dear Holy Father, dear pope Francis,
I’m a 65 year old former teacher, married to my wife B. and father to our three adult children M., M. and M. I’m doing a minor course of study of Theology at the KHKT (Koelner Hochschule fuer katholische Theologie). At first, I want to express that I very much appreciated your recent visit in Iraq and your support and encouragement of the remaining Christians there. I moreover am very thankful that you showed for years a way for a humbler church close to the people instead of a vain and self-satisfied church.
I’m writing to you since the Catholic church in Germany and even more in the diocese Cologne is on a steep decline. Some severe problems make people leave the church by hundreds per week. The people exiting the Catholic church are not those who want to spare their taxation money, these people have been gone a long time ago. In most cases at present the people leaving were faithful believers or even engaged as servers or occupied honorary posts. But now they can’t stand the neglecting of some problems by the leading persons in this diocese any more.